Thursday, September 23, 2010

The grass is always greener....

Wednesday was one of the great days of my life, right up there with my wedding day and the birth of my children. Because Wednesday, 8 very lovely pallets of sod were delivered to my driveway. I was so excited, I started laying sod for over an hour by myself before Kevin even got home for work. People, there has been dirt in my house since March. Dirt on my children, dirt on my carpet, my floor, my table, and it has never really gone away. Everytime I would clean my carpet, my floors, my kids, they would get covered with dirt the next day. Usually the hose would also be involved and then mud would be tracked throughout my house and the lovely white carpet. There was a pool to fill in, which took several loads of dirt and a skidster parked in my front yard for months which broke down at any given time. (but it was free and courtesy of the farm, so I was grateful :). Then there was cement to jackhammer up and old yucky grass to dig up and tons of weeds to clear.
Oh and do you remember the broken water main that had us tear up all the cement out of the front yard and leave a 4 foot ditch out to the road? That was fun too.
Kevin also put in sprinklers which I am so grateful for now but took a little while to get sorted out. Anyway, there were many days when I thought I would never see the likes of green in my yard.
Above is the back of our house when we moved in. Below is our backyard with sprinklers and grass! So much better! It still needs landscaping around the edges but it looks a TON better than it did.
We were lucky to have Kevin's cousin come help us lay the sod and Grady came along too. They pretended the sod pallet was a pirate ship and were quite upset everytime we would come take some of their ship away.

Kevin's dad came and helped us too and was nice enough to also entertain Lucy at the same time. Turns out, she fits perfectly on a wheelbarrow full of sod. We are so thankful for the countless hours of service extended to us by family and friends to help us complete this enormous project. Now we have a safe backyard for my kids to play!

5 comments:

Jenny Robbins said...

It looks amazing with the grass! It's strange how something as simple as sod can make such a HUGE difference.

Cassidy said...

The yard looks great!! I'm glad it's finally done!

Crystal said...

Yeah Lena! It looks so nice. I'm excited to come over and let the kids run free.

Victoria Gilbert said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! and it looks so much bigger! Amazing what can happen when you fill an entire pool in :)
I'm so happy your kids can play in the backyard and you don't have to worry about dirt, mud, or them falling into a huge pit. YAY!

susan said...

Your yard looks amazing! Lucy might have to change her diet to "grass fed baby". ;)