Monday, August 23, 2010

"Water, Water, Everywhere and not a drop to drink...."

Our exciting weekend....I worked Friday night, and awoke Saturday morning to the news that our water had been turned off. We have been in the process of installing sprinklers and while digging down to our water main, we discovered a leak in the pipe. It hadn't been a big issue until the pressure from the dirt above was gone and then it sprang up..and grew. And it had apparently rusted the pipe, all the way back to our house. So, we had no water for 2 days, which really wasn't too much of anything to complain about. Kevin's parents live down the street and we went over there for any water needs. Although it made me super grateful for running water, flushing toilets, and clean dishes.
All the concrete in front of our house had to be ripped out to access the pipe. Luckily Kevin's dad is doing some concrete work out at their dairy and have offered to come redo our driveway and whatever else we might need. I think I will probably just do a path to our door and leave the rest grass.

The trench out from our house to the road. The kids LOVED it. Lucy of couse loved all the fresh dirt and Isak was super excited to be helping and climbing on more dirt piles.


I swear I feed her. She really has a dirt eating problem. I think she might be an addict.
So Kevin and his dad replaced the pipe and buried it today and now I once again have running water! This would have been so much more expensive had we not had Kevin's dad and his backhoe. I think I will refer to this summer as the Summer of Dirt. I'm hoping by next summer, I should have some grass.

4 comments:

Whitney R said...

Love your new background!

At least you weren't pregnant! We had to shut our water off for a day or two and we stayed the night at my In Laws because I was having to pee three times at night and every 45 minutes during the day. And our water was shut off again a few times last week and it really really makes you grateful for flushing toilets and running water. Glad you have it back!

colleen said...

You guys have all the fun!

Crystal said...

Oh Lena! That doesn't look like much fun exept I'm pretty sure Lucy is in heaven. And just think you'll still have grass before me.

Anonymous said...

We had bad pipes in our old house and had to dig out and replace the pipe from the house to the street, in the cold fall pouring rain, we hired a ward member to do it.