Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Interesting Article...


This was a great article...especially the first half. I must admit, I sometimes obsess that living in small town in Othello my kids won't have enough "opportunities". This summer was primarily comprised of us going to the park everyday, the pool, visiting nana, and library visits. There isn't a ton of so called "culture" here but I think it will force my kids to be more creative as they get older.

There is one kindergarten, one high school, regardless of the test scores, rankings, or internet reviews, this is where my kids are going to be getting an education. And you know what? I believe that this is okay, because as a parent, I believe that the most important part of my children's education will primarily always be at home. I am who is going to teach them their core values, how to succeed, help establish a healthy self-image and how to work. And hopefully, be able to do it in a way that won't smother them, but allow them to get more independent as they get older. I love how this article pointed out that as a society, we tend to think that the more we parent, the better. When in reality, not letting our children experience failure and sparing them heartbreak is doing much more damage than good. Sometimes we need to let them figure it out on their own, to be disappointed, and to feel the consequences of their actions. We are raising children....not a best friend. Anyway, spoken from the mom who has a 3 year old, I am sure the full truth of these words will become apparent over the next 15 years.
Here's to hoping I can figure out what to do with these two munchkins over the next several years...without messing them up too badly....

4 comments:

roxrocks said...

If it makes you feel better you are my favorite parent to read about.

Whitney R said...

I think no matter where you are we face the same issues.

But there are three kindergardens! :) Three elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. I have no idea about the preschools.

And your kids are super cute. And I think you will be their best friend because you care so much about helping them to grow up well rounded. You are there to both have fun, listen and discipline. Not every child has a parent that can do all three.

Whitney R said...

Oh, and I'm going to pretend Rox's comment didn't hurt my feelings. :)

susan said...

Love your kids beyond all belief and give them boundaries. Trust me, they will find their way through the maze of life.