Sunday, September 21, 2008

Update and Ultrasounds

Okay so here is a quick update on what we've been up to. I've meant to blog several times this week but somehow haven't found the time. Isak will be 16 months this week and is getting bigger and funnier every day. I wonder if this next baby will have such a crazy personality.

Speaking of my little fetus, many of you know I work on the delivering babies floor and the hospital. I work there some but mostly work on the other side with high risk pregnancies. This has some great benefits when you are pregnant, mostly the convenient presence of ultrasound machines and it just so happens 2 other girls I work with are due within a month after me. So that plus that and a quiet weekend equals........ultrasound party! I don't do it very often because while ultrasounds are very safe I dont want to go overboard. I've only looked twice so far this pregnancy which I think is pretty good. I do actually have to do some work while I'm at work.
The first time I just looked myself, I know enough to hold the wand and find the baby but that's about it. It was still fun though. This past weekend one of the girls who is trained in ultrasound offered to take a peek and it turned out to be quite eventful. For about 10 minutes she thought there was 2 babies in there. The baby turned from breech to head down in about 5 minutes which even for this early is unusualy. She kept asking me, are you sure you had an early ultrasound?. At first I thought she was kidding but then realized she was serious and my heart dropped into my stomach. Apparently I have a very large placenta and and a very active baby and it made it hard to tell what was there. Take into account its not the best machine in the world, not like the ones they use for your official 20 wk ultrasound but it works pretty well and we use it for lots of things. And she's been doing this for years so its not like she didn't know what she was looking at. She called another lady over to take a look and they finally figured out that there was just one in there. For a little while I was contemplating it could be siamese twins. They could also tell the sex but we're determined not to find out and want to be surprised so I didn't ask. Anyway, it was an exciting little adventure and our official ultrasound is on the 30th of September so Kevin will finally get a chance to see him/her too. Oh, and apparently the baby is big...she kept asking me if I was only 19 weeks. I can't look too many more times because its going to get more and more obvious what the sex is and eventually I'll be able to tell too. Everything else is going well, Kevin is enjoying his job and we're surviving at home. Isak is throwing a tantrum so I'm going to end this.
Isak playing with his stuffed Peter Rabbit who he loves to drag around by the ears

Playing outside with the hose, his absolute favorite activity.


5 comments:

Whitney R said...

He's so stinkin cute!

I can't believe they know what it is!!! I'm freaking out a little, I want to know! It's so excited.... I'd be dying. Good thing you decided right from the get go you didn't want to know, because I wonder if you'd have caved if you just decided a bit ago. Stay strong... it will be so fun. :)

From the sound of it.... overactive baby... sounds a little like it's sibling. Good luck, lena :)

Whitney R said...

excited should be exciting

Nana said...

I want to know too! And when Kevin looks at the ultrasound and see's what it is, will he maybe tell us? and not you? :)

Jess Cahoon said...

Wow, I can't believe how big he has gotten. He must have had Kevin's phone the other day because Eldon got a call from him and just heard breathing on the other end. =)

Misti said...

Ooh, I didn't know you were expecting!! Congratulations! I'm jealous. :) Isak is soooo cute.