Monday, July 23, 2012

Grand Coulee Dam

 A few weeks ago, my brother Paul and his wife Amanda and her sister and brother in-law came up to visit for a few days. This was the first time they have made the trip to visit us so we were very excited. While they were here we took the kids up to Grand Coulee and for a picnic up by Spring Canyon. I have such great memories of going to the laser light show with my family during the summer and swimming that I wanted to take our kids. This is the visitor center a the dam and it was very cool and kid oriented. There were quite a few interactive exhibits my kids could do and Isak was even very interested in the history movies they had playing upstairs about the lava flows and the building of the dam.

 The light show started to late for us so we left before it started. We saw 4 deer on the way home crossing the road! We were very lucky we didn't hit any. I think with the drought we've been seeing that the deer had been crossing to go to the reservoir and to drink.
 Before we went to the dam, we had a picnic and swam at Spring Canyon Park. This is along the Coulee Reservoir and is a really nice area. The beach has nice sand and a dock to swim out to. The picnic/swimming area is super shady so even though it was 80 plus degrees outside, we felt pretty cool.
 My kids particularly loved this hill that they kept rolling down over and over. Isak figured out how to roll properly, Lucy kind of would throw herself awkwardly hand over foot down the hill. It was quite entertaining.

 Lucy donned all her swimming safety gear to swim. She kept yelling, "I'm swimming!" "I'm swimming!", as she drank the gross water and partook of the sand that was on the beach. Somehow she never got sick. Quite the immune system that one is going to have.

                                                           Edyn and Aunt Amanda.
Isak and Lucy really loved swimming in the lake. I loved it wasn't rocky and algae infested and it was shallow for quite a ways.  We had so much fun. I'm excited for next summer when we can go again and maybe stay up late enough to see the light show!

No comments: