Sunday, May 4, 2008


Since this blog currently consists of entries from Lena I feel it is time for me to make my mark. I recently recieved an email that made me a little angry. A certain member of our married student ward here in Boise decided that he would use the elders quorum email list to advertise for his own little MLM (multi-level marketing) company. I don't mind if people have job openings and are notifying of employment opporunities using the list by MLM's make money off of dropping people below you and ensuring they spend money on whatever product is the flavor of the day so you can take your cut. He began the email by addressing us as elders and making mention about comments from the pulpit and then saying he would feel like he was doing us a disservice if he did not let us know about this "tremendous" money making opportunity.
So I was bothered to say the least but that incident is not actually why I decided to write this little blog entry. I went and checked out the website for his MLM (I love to see how the things are structured) and stumbled upon a phrase I had never heard before. "Virtual Millionaire." Essentially this is someone who has a passive income from whatever source that is $50 to $60 thousand dollars. They figure this qualifies someone as being amillionaire because this amount is equal to $1 million earning interest at 5-6%. Possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Only and idiot would pay $1 million for an income stream that had no physical assets backing it (which is what an MLM is). I have no problem with MLM's in and of themselves but I do have a problem with the way many of them are promoted. How many gullible people buy into these ideas only to walk away, out $100's to $1,000's of dollars.
Having spouted out nothing even vaguely entertaining or educational for this blog entry I hereby promise that my next one (if Lena allows it since this is her baby) will be more humerous and entertaining, or try to be.

No comments: