Friday, March 8, 2013

End of February/Beginning of March

 Kevin is in charge of the cubscouts in our ward at church and at the end of February there was the Pinewood Derby. Our ward purchased its own track this year which conveniently came to our house in giant long boxes and Kevin got to spend a couple Saturdays assembling it all. It did look pretty awesome though. Kevin got kids for both the kids to make cars and I helped them paint them. They also each took angry bird tattoos left over from their Valentines and added those to them as well.
 Lucy really wanted a pink car with lightning stripes and she was very excited to watch it race.

Isak's was red with blue stripes and he had a lot of fun as well. Its a great tradition and I'm glad our kids, even though they aren't really old enough yet, get to be a part of it through Kevin. We will have plenty of cars when Isak turns eight!

 March 1st was Cat in the Hat day at school and the kids could dress in their pajamas or like a Dr. Seuss character. We happened to have the hat and bow tie and Isak couldn't stop talking about his outfit all week. I went and found him some white gloves and a black sweatshirt and he was good to go. He even sang me a pretty awesome song the night before that he made up about Cat in the Hat. I'm pretty sure he wore the outfit the next day as well.



March 2nd was my Snake River Half Marathon that I've been training for for a while. It was freezing cold, I lost my knee brace in a porta potty prior to race start time, my energy gel fell out of my pocket and turns out I was at the beginnings of the stomach flu as well. And my parents, who had my kids, got super lost on the way to the race (which had no cell phone reception) and got there about 15 minutes after I finished. Pretty much not the race I was expecting but I still knocked a few minutes off of my previous best time. The way home was super miserable and I laid in the front seat with  my head down hoping I wouldn't die. I couldn't stand to get in the shower so I laid in the bathtub when I got home. It was pretty awesome. Then Kevin left for Vegas for five days for work the next night and my parents had to come help my pathetic self take care of my three kids.  I learned a couple lessons from this experience. One. Do not let Kevin leave town the day after a big race because if not sick I will probably be quite sore and tired. Two. Give whoever is driving to said race a map of the location because they are usually in the middle of nowhere. Three. Do not let kids eat at McDonalds after the race because the smell will make me vomit.  Four. I need pockets in my running shorts/capris somewhere or else I will lose my gel. Five. Training hard really does pay off. Even when you don't feel your best you can still improve. Six. I need a new fitness hobby for a little while. I'm exhausted.

No comments: