Sunday, March 17, 2013

Isak


I remember a year ago when Isak was in preschool and how I was so worried because he didn't write his name very well. Its crazy to think how far he has come in just a year. Kids are amazing! I've started helping out at Isak's school twice a week with the accelerated reader program.  There are a handful of Kindergarten kids in Isak's class that are reading books and can take tests on them on the computer to earn points. They accumulate points and earn buttons, prizes, etc. I just go in to help the kids with the computer and read them the questions if they need help.  I started doing this because Isak was one of the kids reading and needed a chance to be challenged and to earn points.  I know every mom thinks their kid is a genius but Isak really has caught onto reading really fast. He's now reading everything he can get his hands on and insists on reading his scripture stories to us at night. He read me the back of the Oxiclean container the other day and then was asking what we could stain a washcloth with to see if it really worked.  He's so funny. And because this is my blog I can brag about my own kids so last week when I went in to help with his class his teacher told me about a test she had just given to all the students. It essentially had regular words as well as nonsense words and the kids had to sound them out and read them at a decent pace. Most kids she told me got 50-60 right out of 128 and that tells her that they are ready to start reading sentences. Then she told me that Isak got the highest score she had every seen a Kindergartner get ever! He got all 128!  The downfall is that he's starting to forget some of his basic letter names because so much focus is on reading so we will work on that. I was pretty proud of him.

Isak wrote me this note one evening after I had gone out for a run and I found it when I got back.   It had been a rough day (worked till 3am and Kevin up till 3am doing taxes) with little sleep and I was pretty grumpy. Totally made my whole day turn around, grateful for this sweet boy we have in our house!
 Isak wrote this note to the leprechaun today after he found his shoes in the freezer this morning. It says, "Dear Leprechaun, please find our orange risk pieces! Love Isak + Dad". I'm pretty sure we don't have any orange risk pieces but apparently the leprechaun needs to find some?? He also set out a trap complete with my sewing thread as trip wire into a box and coins to lure him in. I'm going to have to figure out something to leave in there tonight like a doll shoe. Good thing St. Patricks day is almost over!

Monday night Isak got to go out with Kevin and I to a movie and pizza. He earned a pizza coupon at school for learning all his sight words and got a free mini pizza. We took him to "OZ" with some friends of ours and their kids thinking it would be a great kids movie..well, it was a great movie but it was scary! Isak never mentioned being scared and went to bed fine but I was positive one of us was going to have to sleep with him. 
Isak is in wrestling right now and really enjoys it, although I'm not sure how much he really "wrestles".  His cousin Grady is in there with him and they are pretty fun to watch.  They spend a lot of time mostly not listening and throwing each other on the ground. He starts soccer this week with Lucy on his team and Kevin as his coach and I'm very interested to see how that goes!

 Isak gets out early sometimes on Wednesdays and he loves it when the girls are both asleep when he gets home. We played Risk when he came home last week and he thought it was the greatest thing ever. He makes up all the rules and usually there are random stuffed animals or ZhuZhu pets involved.


1 comment:

Katie said...

He is so smart! Way to go, Isak!