Sunday, August 5, 2012

Summer Experiments

Isak and I have been doing science experiments during Lucy's naptime everyday this summer. I found some blog where a girl made a book of them and I printed them out. Isak really loves them and everyday asks what our next experiment is going to be. Above we mixed yeast with vinegar and baking soda, a very cool explosion.
 On this one we mixed yeast, sugar and vinegar together and the carbon dioxide released blows up the balloon.
 We made grass heads last week for home evening and talked about having faith and a testimony. We sprinkled grass seed in the bottom of some old nylons, filled them with dirt and tied them off. Then we tied them off and added some eyes, nose and mouth and watered them. Hopefully they start sprouting soon, my kids are very anxious to cut their "hair"!
 We filled balloons with water and froze them a few days. Isak was so excited, he kept checking on them and letting me know how frozen they were. We poured salt on them and then I let the kids dump food coloring all over them.
 It made the coolest designs all over the ice, they used A LOT of salt and food coloring and it took a while to clean them up. My hands were pretty discolored for a while as well. I can't believe this summer is coming to an end and my Isak is going to be in school all day. It makes me excited for him but a little sad for me, I'm sure going to miss our time together. He's been working in his little kindergarten workbook everyday and he's so ready to start and so excited. We're going school supply/clothes shopping this week and Lucy is pretty insistent she needs school supplies as well.  She's going to have quite the adjustment being home with me all day without Isak. We will have to find some cool stuff to do...

No comments: