Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Soccer and Peaches


Isak started soccer this week and so far he has had one game. Kevin is coaching his team and there are 4 little boys on his team. The main goal is for them to kick it in the right direction, use their feet, and have fun. There is one boy on his team who is amazingly good for being 4 and played spring ball. He can kick the ball while running and turning and can steal it away. He scored about 10 goals so our team might be pretty good thanks to him!
I
Isak mostly likes just running after the ball with the other kids. He gets tired easily and needed about 4-5 breaks, most of which were while his game was still going and he just ran over and grabbed his gatorade. He only went to play on the swings once toward the end and came back pretty easily. And Isak only tried to tackle this kid on the other team a few times who luckily thought it was just as much fun as Isak. So all in all, a pretty good success. He was a lot of fun to watch and I let him roll down the grassy hills when we were done which he was so excited about.
Kevin's parents have a peach tree in their backyard that gives off lots of peaches every September. Since I am trying to build up our food storage and free fruit is a great way to get some, I decided to try my hand at some canning. I have used a steam canner before helping my mom can over the years and know basically what to do but have never done it all by myself.

So I borrowed my mother-in-law's pressure canner and took all her jars and lids and prayed nothing would blow-up in my kitchen. It was a process and I was pretty nervous that none of them would seal, but it worked! I just did 10 quarts but they all sealed and look edible! I felt so domesticated when I was done and now think I could can other things as well and do okay.
I made about 12 pints of peach freezer jam, 2 peach pies, froze about 4-5 bags, and pureed some and froze them in ice cubes to use as baby food later.

Isak was a great help and used the potato masher to help mash the peaches for jam. The best part is that my house has smelled like yummy peaches for a week.

2 comments:

Kevin and Eliza said...

Way to go on the canning and making peach jam. It looks great. Too funny about Isak running off to play on the swings during his game.

Victoria Gilbert said...

Wow! That's a LOT of peaches! Looks like you have been very productive, and Isak looks super cute in his soccer uniform!