Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hospital Stays and Other Excitement


I spent the last couple weeks in washington while Kevin was out of town for week. It was suppose to be just for a few days while he was gone, but he ended up having to work unexpectedly out of town the next week as well, so I opted to stay in Washington.

I was going to do a few posts on my trip but then something more exciting happened Friday night. I had just gotten out of report at work when the phone rang and my friend told me my husband was on the phone with a screaming baby in the background. I figured that Lucy was misbehaving and that he needed to bring her in to nurse or something. Actually, Isak had fallen flat on his head on the road and had a huge bump and Kevin was bringing him into the ER to get checked out. Luckily I was able to run down and meet him and help him with the kids. To make a long story short, our little Isak ended up having a CT scan that revealed a small skull fracture at the base of his skull with a tiny amount of bleeding between the layers of the skull. But the ER doctor reassured us that there was no bruising of the brain so there would be no long term effects or brain damage. I think at this point I was numb and unable to process anything he was telling us. So he got to stay overnight on the pediatric unit for observation and ended up going home the next morning. Isak was incredibily awake and active the whole time this was going on. He never lost consciousness or vomited or got sleepy.He was running laps around the peds unit and kept demanding we take him to the elevators. The nurses kept saying, "wow, he's doing so well!"...we took him to the outside play area and the lady checking the kids in and out asked for our last name.
We had to diaper him standing up because of his head..that was interesting.
She went, "Oh Isak, the active one". Apparently his short little stay earned him a reputation. The worst part was because his head was (is) so tender he couldn't lean on anything to get comfortable so he couldn't fall asleep. Even tylenol with codeine didn't too much, it was very hard to watch, he would just wander around his room holding his doggie and his bunny trying to get comfortable. Eventually he let me rock him to sleep and that is how we spent most of the night.
The crib that Isak never slept in, I ended up dragging the mattress onto the floor and that's where we both ended up sleeping..yes it is as comfortable as it looks.
He had his lightning mcqueen quilt grandma grimmett made him
The neurosurgeon told us it will take a good 6-8 weeks for the bump and swelling to go away. We are so thankful that he is okay and that it wasn't worse.
Its a good thing I already got his haircut because he sure wouldn't let me do it now.

This experience really made me realize how lucky I am to have a husband who holds the priesthood and can use it without hesitation. It also made me think about what a huge responsiblity children are and how Kevin and I are completely accountable for everything that happens to them. They are our responsibility to raise whether they are healthy or if they somehow become disabled or ill. I walked by the PICU while I was at the hospital and have no idea how those parents with chronically ill kids or have kids with cancer can do it. They have my full admiration and I pray that that is not a trial I am called to bear in this life.
So Isak is doing really well and just an FYI for all you parents, codeine can have a hyperactive effect on your kids rather than a sedating effect..hence the no nap today. So glad I paid the $50 for that prescription...

8 comments:

Victoria Gilbert said...

wow what a horrible ordeal!? I'm so glad Isak is going to be ok and that it wasn't worse. I know what you mean about parents with chronically ill children... I can't even imagine going through that. Let's pray none of us have to. Good luck with that codeine!

Crystal said...

How scary. I am glad he is going to be okay.

Shavonne said...

Oh man, how scary! Glad Isak is doing good though, and no long term problems. Bet it's a nice eye-opening effect to be the patient/family for once, rather than on the other end!

Miss Lovely's Musings said...

Thanks goodness Kevin had the presence of mind to take him to the ER. So glad he is okay.

Whitney R said...

Mom told me about this Saturday - I cried like a little girl. I'm so very glad that Isak has a head made of steel and that he will be okay. I'm so sorry you have a little boy who has such an owie he can't sleep comfortably. I've been constantly thinking about your family and especially Kevin. What a traumatic thing to go through. I hope he is doing okay.

ok... I'm cryin again cause I have the emotional tolerance of a 3 year old... I'm glad I'll be coming in a few weeks to help.

Cassidy said...

Oh man. Thank goodness he's okay!

Mike and Lisa said...

Poor little guy! I read a cute quote once that went like this: "Guardian angels work quite hard to help us all the time, but those assigned to little boys are working overtime" I'm sure you're learning already that thats true!

Ashley said...

Lena that is super scary. I know exactly what it's like to be in the Peds department with a kid and it is not fun no matter the situation. It's good to hear that everything will be fine, but I'm sure it was still unnerving.