Thursday, August 7, 2008

Gilbert Reunion

So this past week we went Again to another family reunion. Kevin's gilbert side had a get together down in fruitland Utah at a place called Reid Ranch. If you picture the middle of nowhere, this is pretty much what you get. We traveled a looong ways to come a dirt road that was 13 miles long and had lots of rocks and gravel and stagnant water pools. At the end of this road we found the ranch. We had one big large lodge that had several rooms that housed us all. The "cafeteria" where we received 3 square meals a day, some more questionable than others, was down the patha little ways.
Isak in his new life vest. Really nothing to do with the reunion but its cute and he can't bend over in it which is funny.
Isak, Josh, and Claire, all the little cousins in kevin's immediate family. Trying to get all of the cousins in one picture would have been impossible. These children look happy right? Focus on Isak's smiling face and then check out the next picture....
It was very short lived. Isak had a long day poor kid with more cameras than he probably wanted in his face.
Kevin on his horse "cookie". I wonder if any of these horses had last names.
The view from the lake. It was really pretty there.

Inside of the lodge where we stayed. There were 3 total levels and no air conditioning.




If you can't tell, I was a bit nervous to ride the horses. I guess "ride" is a loose term. Really we sat on them and they trotted along a dirt path. At least this is what most of the horses did. I was privilged to have "Tiny", the pony that a mind of its own and wanted to stop and eat, go off the path, and was incredibly slow that prompted the guide to yell every 5 minutes "kick Tiny". Kevin thought this was hilarious and kept looking back to see how far behind I was. I kicked that thing multiple times to finally make it go and then it scarily would start to gallop ahead. I hate horses.
Hmm. For reasons I did not understand, we were fully equipped with life vests and helmets for our little horse ride. I think its because incase the horse threw you off the side of the cliff into the waiting water below, at least there was a chance you would float.
Kevin's vest was a little small....
dumb horse.

The paddle boats were lots of fun. Isak came with us for a brief little ride around the lake and then kevin and I tried our hand at it by ourselves.
Lindsey had lots of fun with us and she was great to have to watch Isak at meal times and whenever we needed her too. I hope she doesn't get married for a long time so she can continue to be such a great aunt to isak.
Kevin attempted to "tie" our paddle boat to nathan and stephanie's so that they could tow us. It kind of worked for a while but I was afraid kevin would end up in the lake.





.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

1. Congrats on the Fetus!
2. Isak is so stinken cute.
3. I ran into your Mom today Lena, she is so sweet.

Hope you are doing well, I thought pregnancy would be funner then it actually is.

Emily Katlyn West said...

I really enjoyed this post because it made me laugh and miss your wonderful sense of humor! How did you end up with the dumbest horse. . . . remember that one time when you got attacked by the bushes when we went tubing that one year? You always get cool stories!!!

Mike and Lisa said...

haha...the part about wearing the life jackets while riding a horse cracked me up. Reminds me of horseback riding at Ensign ranch for girls camp, all the dumb horses....but even then I don't think they made us wear life jackets! Congrats on the new baby on the way! I'm so excited for you.

HAdams said...

It was so fun seeing you at the reunion. I was impressed with your mad running skills, carrying a fetus and all! Hope we'll see you again soon!