Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Shy they are not.....

 I put Lucy in a cheer camp last week that performed at half time at the girl's high school basketball game last Friday night. It was an hour after school for four days and they practiced and took a break with a snack. Seemed simple enough. Wrong. Lucy, apparently, does her own thing all the time. All the girls would be lined up and Lucy would be spinning on the floor, hopping on one foot, or be up in the front with the high school girls dancing with them. I kept having to remind myself that she is not even four yet and although many of those girls were Lucy's age and able to follow along better than she did I shouldn't be frustrated. She is still only three. She really loved it and loved seeing all the girls and the music she just wanted to do her own stuff.
 Anyway, I didn't have super high hopes for performance night but I figured it would be entertaining if nothing else. I had to work an evening shift on Friday so I gave kevin all of her stuff and put him in charge of getting her ready and taking pictures. He did a great job right up until Lucy took out her hair in the car on the way there and Kevin wasn't able to fix it before she ran in the mob of other little girls. He handed her hair bows to one of the high school girls and put her in charge of fixing it.
 Luckily I was able to come watch her on my lunch break and my parents along with Kevin's mom were able to come along for the show as well. Lucy walked out in front, hopping on one foot the whole way. She did pretty well standing in line with the cheer, then the music started and Lucy busted out her own dance in the front. She even turned around and did a booty shake to the crowd. I was laughing so hard I was almost crying.  Lucy dances to the beat of her own drum and while eventually she's going to have to figure out that she can't always do her own thing, I think for now its okay. I have no idea where she gets all this from, I was way more shy than that! I think we are going to do our best to foster all of that joyous energy in the right direction.
And tonight we had our ward talent show and apparently Isak decided it was his time to shine. They were all done with the acts and asked if anyone had anything they wanted to share. I see Isak's had shoot up and sure enough, there goes Isak, climbing onto the stage and break dancing for our whole ward for the next few minutes. I was fairly surprised that he was so brave but he had been practicing his moves in our kitchen for weeks and the last act was a kid dancing. I don't think he could hold it back anymore. I had lots of people comment to me afterwards about how similar he is to how Kevin was as a kid. I guess Kevin turned out okay so maybe there is hope. One thing is for sure though, we don't have a lot of inhibitions in this household! I'm just glad I was able to keep Lucy from the microphone, that would've been interesting for sure....

2 comments:

Katie said...

I just love your kids. Go, Lucy!

Nuttymonkeymama said...

Sounds like Lucy and Finn are two peas in a pod....